Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Thought #46

"This is life. Don't miss it."

This weekend, my family and I travelled to New York for my grandpa's funeral. On the way back from the burial, Francesca Battistelli's new song 'Don't Miss It' came on my iPod. It made me reflect on how I've been living the past few years: in fast forward. Yes, I have had good, enjoyable times and memories; however, most of the time, I've been counting down to times in the future rather than enjoying or being content in the present. I am getting ready to head back to Cedarville for my third year in a week, and as I think back on the past two years, I look back with regret because most of the time I wished away, counting down to events in the future. Now I know this is easy to say at this time, but this year, I am going to strive to work hard at not missing or wishing away the present because as this weekend reminded me, we never know when our time on this earth will end. And no matter how much I wish for stuff in the future, time will not go any faster or slower.

Yes, this is going to be extremely difficult, and I am going to struggle with this every single day because a lot of my life has been completed in fast forward: when I was in grammar school, I looked forward to middle school, middle school --> high school, high school --> senior year, senior year --> graduation, graduation --> college, freshman year --> sophomore year, sophomore year --> graduation/wedding, etc.

I *NEED* to STOP this trend!! I need to learn contentment. Actually, while I was writing this, John Waller's song 'While I'm Waiting' came on, and it really applies:

"I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Takeing every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord"

I need to focus on these words this year...
While I'm waiting for all the things I want to count down towards...
While I'm waiting for breaks from school...
While I'm waiting for graduation...
While I'm waiting for my wedding...
While I'm waiting for a job...
While I'm waiting for my future...
While I'm waiting...for whatever...I need to be content in the Lord and trust that He has put me where He wants me at the present time. And the future will come soon enough.

This is life. I'm not gonna miss it anymore!

No comments: